Every day, single-use packaging and plastic products generate thousands of tons of waste that are wreaking long lasting damage on our health and natural environment. We can no longer afford to wait. Act now and demand that your legislators combat the plastic waste crisis.
Roughly two-thirds of all plastic ever produced has been released into the environment, polluting every street, park, river, coast, and ocean. SB 54 and AB 1080 would alleviate the scourge of plastic by:
- Requiring manufacturers to reduce waste and improve the recyclability or compostability of packaging.
- Ensuring that all single-use packaging will be reusable, recyclable or compostable after 2030.
- Mandating that the most-littered plastic products be made only from recyclable or compostable materials.
- Creating incentives to encourage in-state manufacturing using recycled material.
Our dependence on single-use plastics is poisoning our state. Plastic production is a major source of global greenhouse gas emissions, floating plastic “islands” are clogging the oceans, and microplastics are increasingly contaminating our food and drinking water sources.
- You can learn more about these bills online.