Support for a publicly subsidized child care program available to parents at all income levels with fees on a sliding scale.
Position In Brief:
The rearing of children is a social as well as a parental responsibility. Publicly subsidized child care programs are an essential support system for both parents and children.
- Support for programs that provide a nurturing, caring environment that promotes the emotional, social, physical and intellectual well-being of children, that are available for children in all age groups, and that are designed to meet their different needs.
- Support for programs that are affordable, accessible, of high quality and available to parents at all income levels who choose to use them, with fees charged on a sliding scale.
- Support of salaries that reflect the level of skill and training for teachers and those who participate in the care of children.
- Support for efforts of the city government to increase the availability of child care and to enhance the quality of child care in the following ways:
- Promoting the involvement of developers and corporations in expanding the supply of child care facilities;
- Lobbying the State Legislature for increased funding for child care;
- Supporting legislation and regulations that are in the best interests of children;
- Introducing the application of zoning ordinances when this is in the best interest of children, and
- Supplying child care for City employees.
2004-2005 Positions (1986)
League to which this content belongs:Los Angeles