DIVERSITY. Diversity refers to population groups that have been historically underrepresented in socially, politically, or economically powerful institutions and organizations. These groups include but are not restricted to populations of color, such as African Americans and Blacks, Latinx, Native Americans and Asian Americans. They may also include lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations, people with disabilities, women, and other groups.
EQUITY Equity takes into account that people have different access to resources because of system of oppression and privilege. Equity seeks to balance that disparity.
INCLUSION. Inclusion is an ongoing process, not a static state of being. Inclusion refers to the degree to which diverse individuals are able to participate fully in the decision-making processes within an organization or group. While an inclusive group is by definition diverse, a diverse group is not always inclusive. Being aware of unconscious or implicit bias can help organizations better address issues of inclusivity.
LWV United States
- “Diversity and Authenticity,” Katherine Phillips, Tracy Dumas, Nancy Rothbard
- “How Black Women Describe Navigating Race and Gender in the Workplace,” Maura Cheeks
- “Neurodiversity as a Competitive Advantage,” Robert Austin and Gary Pisano
- “Reducing the effects of gender stereotypes on performance evaluations,” Bauer, C.C. & Baltes, B.B.
- "Unlearning Automatic Biases: The malleability of implicit prejudices and stereotypes,” Rudman, L.A., Ashmore, R.D. Gary, M.L.
- “Warmth and Competence as Universal Dimensions of Social Perception. The Stereotype Content Model and the BIAS Map.” Amy Cuddy, Susan Fiske, Peter Glick
- Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People, Mahzarin Banaji
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, Malcolm Gladwell
- Braving the Wilderness, Brené Brown
- Everyday Bias, Howard Ross
- The Hate You Give, Angie Thomas
- The Hillbilly Elegy, JD Vance
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions, Arielly, Daniel
- Waking Up White, Debby Irving
- The Warmth of Other Suns, Isabel Wilkerson